Friday 28 February 2014

Getting back into the swing of things

I've been spending a bit of time on a variety of rolling stock this week. I've had some container wagons on my workbench for a while now, and all that was needed to finish them off were the container locks. But when I went to attach the locks that came with the kit, I didn't like the way they hung off the side of the wagon. I hadn't been able to figure out a solution for this for a while now, and at one stage I thought I'd have to glue the containers onto the wagons. 

But during the week, it occurred to me that I could make some container locks out of brass sheet, which would be much thinner than the original pieces. And sure enough, they look pretty good.



There's still a slight overhang on the sides, but there doesn't appear to be any way around this. 


With the additional of handbrakes and some dullcoat, my first container wagon is finished.

I've also been working on some RMM quarry hopper kits. The kits are pretty basic, so I decided a while ago they'd be a good kit to try and add some extra detailing too. Most of the extra components come from a brass fret made by Model Etch, but I've also added some grab irons and some air piping made from brass wire. These are now ready for a coat of paint.




I've also been adding some detail parts to a VVDY Guards Van kit I have on the go. And I've got 6 grain wagons which need some decals. Fingers crossed, I'm hoping to get everything that's currently on my workbench finished before winter rolls around, so I can spend some time on my diorama. But that'll have to wait until next month.


No comments:

Post a Comment